KAUST built in Saudi Arabia is an international, graduate-level research university dedicated to inspiring a new age of scientific achievement in the Kingdom that will also benefit the region and the world.
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia is an international, graduate-level research university dedicated to inspiring a new age of scientific achievement in the Kingdom that will also benefit the region and the world. KAUST is the realization of a decades-long vision of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdullah Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
KAUST is governed by an independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees and supported by a multi-billion dollar endowment. The University, which is merit-based and open to men and women from around the world, adheres to these founding principles:
- Create an international community of scholars dedicated to advanced science.
- Welcome leaders in science, technology, commerce, business, and education through appointments and partnerships.
- Provide researchers the freedom to be creative and experiment.
- Embody the highest international standards of scholarship, research, education, and learning.
- Provide unfettered access to information and share knowledge, skills, and expertise to achieve economic growth and prosperity.
- Nurture and protect freedom of research, thought, and discourse relating to scholarly work
KAUST will pursue its research agenda through four strategic research thrusts that focus on areas of science and technology that are important to Saudi Arabia, the region, and the world:
- Resources, Energy and Environment;
- Biosciences and Bioengineering;
- Materials Science and Engineering;
- Applied Mathematics and Computational Science.
To support these thrusts, KAUST will establish multidisciplinary Research Centers.
The University is set to open in September 2009 with degrees in 11 fields of study. The core campus is located on more than 36 square kilometers along the Red Sea at Thuwal – about 80 kilometers north of Saudi Arabia's second largest city, Jeddah.